Rockland County CYO Rules 2017‐2018
ALL CYO LEAGUES, FOR BOYS AND GIRLS, FOLLOW THE OFFICIAL HIGH SCHOOL (BOYS) RULES OF THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF STATE HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION.
1. Pressing rules
3rd GRADE ONLY
No pressing in the 3rd grade divisions until the last minute of the game only.
Regardless of the score. This rule has been added so that the winning team is unable to run out the clock in the back court
3Rd graders are permitted to play only man to man defense. The defense must be at foul line extended, while the offense gets the ball over half court. Once the ball is established on the front court, either by pass or dribble, the defense is permitted to pick up their assigned man. Help line defense is permitted at the discretion of the referee.
*****Rockland CYO had decided that 3rd grade games will, in the event of a tie after regulation, play one 3 minute overtime period. During this overtime teams will only be allowed to press in the last minute of the overtime. If the game is tied after the overtime period the game will end in a tie as this will not affect their playoffs.
This rule will only apply to the 3rd grade level for both boys and girls.
GRADES 4 AND 5 EAST AND WEST DIVISION
Pressing is permitted in grades 4 and 5 for the final 2 minutes of each half, except when the 15 point ahead rule is in effect.
In 4th and 5th grades, defense begins after the ball has been established on the offensive front court. This means a player must be across the mid court line with possession of the ball either by dribbling or a pass, prior to being picked up by a defender.
GRADES 6 – 8 EAST DIVISION
Pressing is permitted for the entire game, except when the 15 point ahead rule is in effect.
Grades 6 – 8 WEST DIVISION
Pressing will be permitted only in the last 6 minutes of each half, except when the 15 point ahead rule is in effect.
AT ALL GRADE LEVELS AND DIVISIONS, 15 OR MORE POINTS AHEAD
When a team is fifteen (15) points ahead in any game, it will be illegal to use any front court press. Failure to comply with this rule after a warning may result in a technical foul.
. When the no press rule is in effect, whether the 15 point rule or the level rule, the defensive team must back up to the foul line extended, until the ball is crossed and settled in the offensive front court.
**This means when a team cannot press, all defensive players must fall back to the foul line extended until the offensive team has the ball established in the front court. At that time all players may use the entire front court to play defense.
Bonus situation begins with the 7th team foul, which will be the “one and one” bonus. On the 10th team foul the two shot bonus will be used.
ENTERING LANE: AT ALL LEVELS PLAYERS MAY ENTER THE LANE ON THE RELEASE OF THE FREE THROW ATTEMPT
2. No three (3) point shot.
3. Time periods = two (2) twelve (12) minute halves – five (5) minute halftime.
4. In all girls’ divisions, Rookie, Bantam and Small Fry, the official smaller ball will be used.
5. The foul line for Rookies, Novices, Gidgets, Bantam, Small Fry, Cadet’s and Debs should be twelve (12) feet from the backboard. However the full key will be utilized to determine the three (3) second violation.
6. Four (4) timeouts are permitted during the game. There will be no penalty for illegal numbers on the uniforms, or for contrasting colors of shirts worn under the uniforms. Contrasting shirts must be uniform throughout the team.
7. Dunking is not permitted in any CYO divisions. This includes both warm-ups and games.
8. Team players and up to two (2) coaches only may SIT on the bench. Only HEAD COACH may stand.
9. No shot clocks will be utilized.
10. All uniforms must have parish/school name printed on the front. A team can wear any color t-shirt under their uniform, but everyone on the team has to be wearing the same color.
11. Players must remove all jewelry and hair accessories prior to the beginning of the game. Players are not permitted to wear tape over any jewelry (including earrings). Players either REMOVE ALL JEWELRY and HAIR ACCESSORIES or THEY DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the game.
12. Players are not permitted to wear sneakers with lights, springs or wheels.
13. A player or coach that is ejected from a game will be suspended one game for the first offense and will face possible expulsion on the second offense. A written report is to be sent to the Assigner immediately after the game.
14. Players involved in a fight will be suspended for two (2) games and depending on the severity of the incident, may face expulsion. Second offense will result in immediate expulsion. A written report is to be sent to the Assigner immediately after the game.
15. A coach involved in a fight will face immediate expulsion upon immediate consultation with the Pastor, the Moderator, and the County Coordinator. A written report is to be sent to the Assigner immediately after the game.
16. It is the home team’s responsibility to keep the clock and the scorebook whether at their gym or a neutral site. Parishes, schools are responsible to train adults how to do the clock. At no time is a minor permitted to be responsible for the clock for any game.
17. Scorebooks must be filled out with all potential players, both first and last names and the scorebook is to be signed by both officials prior to the start of the game.
18. In all divisions the free throw lanes may be occupied as follows: a) In the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade Boys and Girls and 6th grade girls division the bottom box of the key will be filled when shooting free throws; b) In the 6th grade Boys, 7th, 8th and High School Boys and Girls divisions, the first marked lane space (the lane space adjacent to the end line) shall not be occupied.
A COPY OF THESE RULES IS TO BE POSTED AT THE SCORER’S TABLE FOR ALL GAMES